Thursday, September 24, 2009

NEVELSON IN COLOR

September 24, 2009. Off to the dentist for a new tooth. On the way back I took a detour and passed by 59 Maiden Lane, the second place we moved our offices to after 9/11 and before we came back to our headquarters. Across the street from 59 stands a beautiful work by Louise Nevelson. The site is now under construction, and I am looking forward to seeing how the new plaza will look when it is done, still anchored by this magnificent sculpture. It was fun to see it wrapped in this ribbon of color, probably to hide the worksite - to try to make the space look 'brighter'. But I find the anticipation of a work site exciting in itself. How will the final space look, will I like it, will I want to come here, will I smile as I walk past, will it add to the city-scape? How wonderful to see the arcs and curves and hanging boxes in such stark contrast to the repitition of shape and line of the nearby buildings. And painted black, the color of choice, then beribboned in the beautiful yellow, lavender, pink and blue. Was it unintended or by design?